Workflow management: What Is It?
Let’s look into the definition of workflow management to get things started. A team or organization must coordinate several smaller tasks to complete a more significant project. This is known as workflow management.
Workflow management simply refers to the process of performing a number of smaller tasks to accomplish a larger goal. The phrase “workflow” simply refers to a group of discrete tasks done to reach a greater goal in the process.
Understanding that a workflow must be a process that can repeatedly occur in a row is essential. You can use the workflow mapping concept for a deeper understanding of these processes and ongoing improvement.
To examine “workflow” in more detail on its own, it is crucial to understand that it consists of the following three components:
- Input – What you must provide to begin a task.
- Transformation – The changes that take place when carrying out the task.
- Output – The outcome of finishing the task. Output can be another step’s “input” or starting point.
The management of orders and making of drinks, for instance, would be the workflow if you worked at Starbucks (who, incidentally, is a Hive customer). The order would be the input, and the brewing of the coffee would be the transformation. Delivering the beverage to the customer base would be the output.
Important Elements of Workflow Management Software
After going over the fundamentals of workflow management and workflow, let’s take a look at the tools you’ll need to use. Workflow management software refers to a system that facilitates the completion of workflows and manages repeatable processes from a large-scale perspective.
The following are some crucial workflow management software elements that you should look for in a system:
- Repeatable, precisely defined processes
Each workflow management tool must be able to guide a project or task through a cycle of repetition.
- Macro-level views for tracking progress
Users must be able to track the progress of a campaign or project over time to improve workflows in workflow management software.
- App integrations
Ensuring the flow of projects and tasks efficient is the entire purpose of workflow management software. This entails integrating with currently used tools to automate work and streamline operations.
- Features for analytics and reporting
You should be able to assess your productivity and success to refine a process or workflow. This means your workflow management software must have a reporting feature.
The Best Software for Managing Workflows
Let’s cover some of the best workflow management software options available today, keeping all of these necessities in mind.
Nectain is a platform built on the principles of DIY (Do It Yourself). It uses low-code tools to enable users to quickly create their own procedures and solutions without having a thorough understanding of coding.
You can build sophisticated business applications on this platform without worrying about difficult database design. This is because it comes with an extensive collection of complex functions that are ready to use, like IDP and Organizational Structure Management.
Nectain has a number of key performance capabilities which include:
- Performance – Nectain can handle massive amounts of data and a multitude of users at once.
- Supercharge Development – Nectain’s platform makes it simple to create innovative applications.
- DMN 1.1. & BPMN 2.0. Standards – To help companies develop a framework that is simple to understand, Object Management Group (OMG®) launched BPMN 2.0. Nectain uses it and serves as a link between the planning and execution of business processes.
- DMN Decision Engine – By collaborating to create business rules and automate business decisions using Nectain, IT teams and relevant stakeholders can use the Decision Model and Notation (DMN). This is a global standard for modeling and automating decisions.
- Optical Character Recognition (OCR) and Intelligent Document Processing (IDP) – Nectain is using Google and Azure Document Recognition as their solution. With the help of Nectain, it is now easy to automate data documents processing so that computers can recognize data on their own. They can then arrange it appropriately, giving people more time for more crucial tasks.
- No Data Modeling – No data modeling is required when using Nectain to build applications. You can begin by modeling the entire process. After that, you can model the process after determining what information is necessary. This has the potential to speed up digital transformation.
- Organizational Structure – Employees in a department may change, but the role they hold remains the same.
- One-stop Application – You can create your entire system using Nectain in a single studio.
Smart workflow management tool ProProfs Project provides real-time updates on the project’s entire life cycle. You can smoothly manage deadlines, tasks, and subtasks on its user-friendly dashboard. You can also easily share files and participate in discussions wherever you are, whenever you want.
The tool assists in invoice generation and offers the ability to customize invoices. You can also design unique workflows to suit the requirements of your project. With ProProfs, team collaboration is a piece of cake.
ProProfs has a few other features that make it a fantastic workflow management program, including:
- Execute workflows automatically
- control multidisciplinary teams
- Real-time updates on project progress
- Kanban boards, Gantt charts, and more
The no-code web application Fluix is made for sectors like building, remodeling, aviation, energy, and more. The platform’s primary solutions are automated data capture and workflow management. You can use mobile forms to gather data first, after which you can move them through workflows to streamline processes for multiple teams.
An automation strategy like this one aids in managing business operations involving numerous performers and tasks. Examples include safety control, field inspections, equipment maintenance, and others.
- Web, iOS, and Android operating systems
- Fillable PDFs and online forms facilitate communication between various teams.
- You can make step-based workflows using a drag-and-drop workflow builder.
- Role-based access management limits which submitters have access to files and tasks.
- BI tool integrations that enable data exporting and analysis.
A new project management tool called Projectsly by 500apps offers sophisticated task management and potent automation features.
The tool is very helpful for remote teams because it promotes teamwork. It allows project managers to assign and monitor team tasks without skipping any steps. With Projectsly, you can organize your project planning and oversee every stage from beginning to end.
Among the features of Projectsly are:
- Kanban boards for task creation and tracking
- Gantt chart for task progress visualization
- Automated workflow creation
- Google Chrome extension for Gmail project management
With ClickUp, you can manage team resource allocation while streamlining project plans and workflows. Teams from all over the globe use the straightforward, aesthetically pleasing tool to stay on task.
ClickUp might be the right workflow management program for you for several reasons, including:
- Users can create customized automation templates to automate specific workflow steps.
- Views for a project include the calendar, Gantt, and timeline views.
- Reporting that enables you to build personalized dashboards.
Since partnering with 10,000 feet, this tool has become a fantastic tool for managing a team’s resources and workflow. The majority of Smartsheet have an Excel-like format. This makes it simple for teams to see what needs completion and what comes next.
Smartsheet is an excellent tool for managing workflows due to a few factors, including:
- Workflow automation for tasks and projects.
- Flexible project layouts with task visualization tools like Gantt charts and table views.
- Integrations with programs like Google Apps and Microsoft Office.
- Improved resource management abilities.
A workflow management tool called Pipefy assists teams with data requests, task execution, and success reporting all-through campaigns and projects. Teams all over the globe have become reliant on this tool for their workflow management requirements. This is owing to their workflow development process, which is low code.
Additional features that make Pipefy a top-notch workflow management program include:
- Templates that are ready to use and can help organize overall processes and workflows.
- Low-code custom workflows to simplify work.
- The ability to access workflows from anywhere in the organization when necessary.